Thursday, November 11, 2004
Censoring Private Ryan
It's starting:
TV stations canceling 'Ryan' telecast
FCC concerns and station managers concerns about new conservative Senators and the "values voter." My hometown station in Columbus, Ohio won't air the telecast.
I think this is the biggest loss, or the saddest thing about the election. I'm pretty sure that we won't have Kristalnacht in New Jersey. I do fear for the safety of gays and lesbians living in the midwest. But more than anything, I mourn the loss of our culture, what I think has been an outstanding, entertaining, creative fin-de-siecle culture.
This morning I was listening to New Order's Republic. What a great album. And watching a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode from 1994. Such nostalgia! What a time, when we had no worries, when we could enjoy being really creative. When I started my own company - when the economy was booming and we had no worries about finding a job. When working was fun because work would change the world. Technology was neat. Saving Private Ryan was stunningly creative cinematography. No one cared about a "fuck" and no one was worried about real Armaggedon.
Little did I realize that ten years later, I would be looking back on the '90's as the heyday of America. Sad. Sad. Sad.
TV stations canceling 'Ryan' telecast
FCC concerns and station managers concerns about new conservative Senators and the "values voter." My hometown station in Columbus, Ohio won't air the telecast.
I think this is the biggest loss, or the saddest thing about the election. I'm pretty sure that we won't have Kristalnacht in New Jersey. I do fear for the safety of gays and lesbians living in the midwest. But more than anything, I mourn the loss of our culture, what I think has been an outstanding, entertaining, creative fin-de-siecle culture.
This morning I was listening to New Order's Republic. What a great album. And watching a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode from 1994. Such nostalgia! What a time, when we had no worries, when we could enjoy being really creative. When I started my own company - when the economy was booming and we had no worries about finding a job. When working was fun because work would change the world. Technology was neat. Saving Private Ryan was stunningly creative cinematography. No one cared about a "fuck" and no one was worried about real Armaggedon.
Little did I realize that ten years later, I would be looking back on the '90's as the heyday of America. Sad. Sad. Sad.
Comments:
Post a Comment
