Tuesday, July 27, 2004
My Heroes!
Carter, Gore, Clinton....
First night of the Dem convention, and every one one of them gave a brilliant speech, marvelously nuanced. Both an impassioned critique of Bush and a positive spin on Kerry's achievements. Perfectly correct tone to lay out, for the miniscule middle, the case for change and the reason to support the alternative.
Carter was particularly excellent. Here is a man with impeccable morality and authority on human rights, telling us the real cost of Bush's abuses: loss of American moral authority.
Clinton was at the top of his oratory game. I wanted to listen to him for another hour. Just by talking, he made us understand how much a loss it is not to have a smart, communicative man like him running the country. He made us understand how much policy is connected to persuasion. No one does it better. I am reading his book. He will be remembered as our best President ever.
Gore was, oddly, overlooked by the broadcasts I watched. Was this intentional? I had to hunt out and read his speech. Was it being buried? Gore has become the champion of telling the truth about the Evil Bush regime. He could run this blog. I found his speech in the Times and read it - it seemed pretty mild. Kerry's spin machine had obviously gotten to him. He had a few nice zingers. But I just don't understand Gore's apotheosis these last couple of years: If only this outspoken, courageous Gore had been the Gore that ran against Bush, we wouldn't be in this mess. Why didn't his pollsters tell him that, when he was running.
God, if Kerry doesn't win the White House, it will be the greatest waste of talent - the greatest tragedy - in a generation.
First night of the Dem convention, and every one one of them gave a brilliant speech, marvelously nuanced. Both an impassioned critique of Bush and a positive spin on Kerry's achievements. Perfectly correct tone to lay out, for the miniscule middle, the case for change and the reason to support the alternative.
Carter was particularly excellent. Here is a man with impeccable morality and authority on human rights, telling us the real cost of Bush's abuses: loss of American moral authority.
Clinton was at the top of his oratory game. I wanted to listen to him for another hour. Just by talking, he made us understand how much a loss it is not to have a smart, communicative man like him running the country. He made us understand how much policy is connected to persuasion. No one does it better. I am reading his book. He will be remembered as our best President ever.
Gore was, oddly, overlooked by the broadcasts I watched. Was this intentional? I had to hunt out and read his speech. Was it being buried? Gore has become the champion of telling the truth about the Evil Bush regime. He could run this blog. I found his speech in the Times and read it - it seemed pretty mild. Kerry's spin machine had obviously gotten to him. He had a few nice zingers. But I just don't understand Gore's apotheosis these last couple of years: If only this outspoken, courageous Gore had been the Gore that ran against Bush, we wouldn't be in this mess. Why didn't his pollsters tell him that, when he was running.
God, if Kerry doesn't win the White House, it will be the greatest waste of talent - the greatest tragedy - in a generation.
Comments:
Post a Comment
