Monday, June 07, 2004
Reagan's Eulogy?
I can't tell you how many times in the Eighties that I wished Reagan would drop dead.
Now it's happened - way too late to do any good.
Well, maybe his death will do some good - it might warm the heart of the current Pharoah to allow medical science to research a treatment for Parkinsons. (Actually, the credit for that, once again, goes to Nancy, who is able to occasionally see past the idealogical blinders and I imagine is the only reason Reagan wasn't considered a complete a-hole, like our current George W.)
I'd say it's ironic, but it isn't - Reagan had a full, long life, certainly in comparison to the millions of worhtwhile gays, blacks, Africans etc. whose lives were cut short from AIDS due to his neglegence, bigotry, fear, and innaction. Say what you want about the end of the Cold War and how well Ronnie's advanced Parkinsonism style of Presidency suited our country. All of those millions of untimely deaths still rest squarely on his head; now Ronnie will finally have to pay that debt with his maker.
Meanwhile, yet another era of medical advancement is being blocked by right-wing ideologues.
I guess it's true what Billy Joel says: Only the good die young.
Now it's happened - way too late to do any good.
Well, maybe his death will do some good - it might warm the heart of the current Pharoah to allow medical science to research a treatment for Parkinsons. (Actually, the credit for that, once again, goes to Nancy, who is able to occasionally see past the idealogical blinders and I imagine is the only reason Reagan wasn't considered a complete a-hole, like our current George W.)
I'd say it's ironic, but it isn't - Reagan had a full, long life, certainly in comparison to the millions of worhtwhile gays, blacks, Africans etc. whose lives were cut short from AIDS due to his neglegence, bigotry, fear, and innaction. Say what you want about the end of the Cold War and how well Ronnie's advanced Parkinsonism style of Presidency suited our country. All of those millions of untimely deaths still rest squarely on his head; now Ronnie will finally have to pay that debt with his maker.
Meanwhile, yet another era of medical advancement is being blocked by right-wing ideologues.
I guess it's true what Billy Joel says: Only the good die young.
Comments:
Post a Comment
